29 January 2017

2016 Favorite Reads

Before January officially draws to a close, I wanted to post my favorite books from last year.

Non-fiction:


Nathaniel Philbrick's books are always impressive! They're filled with facts and background info enough to make you feel smarter but without making your eyes glaze over, haha! He's got a knack for writing about historical events in a "let me tell you a cool story" sorta way. You'll just want to keep turning pages. Valiant Ambition was terrific (Oh Benedict! Why?? How could you?? Philbrick will tell you...) and In the Heart of the Sea was tragically amazing as well.


Giuseppe Catozzella's Don't Tell Me You're Afraid is the incredible story of a girl from Somalia whose goal is none other than to compete in the Olympics. She grows up running races in her war torn town, even as her family struggles to survive. Your heart will tear in two as you learn her inspiring story. I had to google her and watch her on video. It's a novel, so technically fiction, but I put this in non-fiction just because it's based on a true story.

                    

Among other chapter books, I read both The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (young reader addition) by William Kamkwamba and A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park aloud with the kids last year. These stories really touched them, I think. There wasn't always super easy content to read about (poverty, villages attacked by soldiers, kids picked off by lions, etc.), but I could see their wheels turning as they learned about these children on another continent that did amazing things because they HAD TO. They survived, they persevered, and they were appreciative of all they had. And I'm hoping their stories helped my kiddos feel the same way.

And fiction, of course!

 

Historical fiction:
After reading Secrets of a Charmed Life and A Fall of Marigolds, Susan Meissner has become a new favorite author. Her stories weave past with present during big events in history, making that "history" so real, as if you're living it yourself. I'm excited to read her other works AND her new book coming out in March! 

 

Fantasy:
  Have you heard of the Shades of Magic series?? V. E. Schwab has created an amazing magical world, where multiple versions of the city of London exist, and only certain people possess the power to travel between them. The levels of magic differ in each London (Red London, Grey London, etc.), and the balance of power gets upset and things get tense. It's really, REALLY good, and her third book comes out in February. Yesssss.... In the meantime, start with A Darker Shade of Magic and A Gathering of Shadows.


Mystery:
I wouldn't really consider myself a murder mystery reader (although I do enjoy the Flavia de Luce and Maisie Dobbs series), but I've also liked Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series. Set in a little Canadian town called Three Pines, everyone seems to know each other, then a murder happens, and a thoughtful, wise inspector arrives on the scene. Recipe for a good story, I think! I've only read two so far (Still Life is the first), and have surprised myself with how much I've wanted to read the whoooole series in one shebang. Must space them out! :)

                                                 

Tell me what YOU read last year! What were your favorites? I already posted about last year's Lars Book Club books as well (see here). Those were all fantastic reads too! Find me on Goodreads.com too, if you like, and you can see all my reading updates. Here are some previous years' favorites!

No comments: