13 May 2010

WW II Hero

I saw in Deseret News this morning that Karl-Heinz Schnibbe passed away Sunday.
As teenagers, Schnibbe and two friends stood up to the Nazis by secretly listening to BBC reports and distributing to the German people pamphlets filled with the truth.
They were caught and convicted in 1942.

The complete article can be read here
and you may have seen these books about the brave Mormom teenage trio:


Or this very moving DVD:
(Schnibbe is the boy on the left.)

I was privileged to actually hear Schnibbe speak while at BYU. If you didn't know, I was planning on minoring in German (which, regretfully, didn't happen, dang it!) and my German professor, who is actually on the above DVD, had mentioned this story many times. So when he announced Schnibbe was coming to speak, I skipped all my classes that afternoon and made sure I was there to listen to his story! I'll have to find my notebook and read all the notes I took. He talked about his friend Hubener, who was executed as the mastermind behind the group, and Wobbe, the other member of the trio, who was sent to a German labor camp with him. Schibbe was in German and Soviet labor camps for many years and wasn't freed until 1949. Amazing stories.
He died at age 86 in Salt Lake.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Are you talking about Dr. Keele? He was my Civ teacher & we had Schnibbe come to our class once...

joolee said...

YES! Dr. Keele was amazing!! We'd sing German hymns and operas in our classes - he was one of the reasons I loved German so much.