11 May 2010

The "Perfect" Lace

I've blogged about finding a good jewelry holder before, the main reason behind that being the jumble of dangly earrings in my jewelry box... I'd seen an earring holder online awhile ago - using a frame with lace or a piece of screen, so I've been looking here and there for the "perfect" lace for this project. At the antique store last weekend I found it!!
For a frame, I used a clock of ours that broke last year. I would have tossed it because the clock mechanism was shot, but kept it because I loved the curved corners and color of the frame.

I was then going to take out the glass and either staple or tack the lace to the inside of the frame, but to make things easier, I just pushed the glass back in and it holds the lace nice and snug. Probably gives it more support too - some of my earrings are a bit heavy.

It was painful to cut away the extra antique lace (so beautiful!), but I'll save that piece for some other project.

So there you have it:

An easy fix and a pretty place to hang/display the earrings I wear often.

If it were going to hang on a white wall, I'd stick some colored paper between the lace and glass, but since I planned to hang it on our olive green wall, I left it without.

Some other goodies I found at that fabulous antique shop:
(Mom, you'd love it!)


Some adorable patterns in just the right sizes and an awesome little hat with a chinstrap (alas, it's a tad too small for Madsen...save it for the next boy, I guess!).
Next quest:
How to display my frilly, flowery headbands...
Any ideas?

7 comments:

M said...

That is very, very cute. What a creative idea!

Marilyn said...

Awesome creation Julie!!! You should market them.

Kristen said...

Nice!

E J said...

Love the earring holder! Saw on Family Fun an idea for headbands - they covered old oatmeal containers with fun paper, and the circumference ends up perfect for headbands (they also put other hair accessories inside of the container).

Anonymous said...

ha i just made a lace earring holder for my mom. i didn't find a frame i was hoping for at goodwill, but it was such a fun and easy project that i'm keeping my eyes open for better frames. and maybe you can use some extra lace to make lace trim earrings. check em out on my blog. super cute.

Unknown said...

TOO CUTE! I love the way this turned out. Way to go Julie, you seriously inspire me!

Unknown said...

Opps. Sorry that last comment was from me (Allie) I can't figure out how to sign out of Hyrum's brother's name on Blogspot. :)