Rhubarb recipes are all over the internet right now, so I decided to try one! I'd tried a rhubarb crisp once at a friend's house and thought it quite tasty. So I figured I'd introduce it to my family...Celia saw it and said "Red celery, mom? That's weird."
Here's the recipe, seen on Domestic Reflections:Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
2 lb. strawberries, hulled and halved
1 1/2 lb. rhubarb, cut into 1/2 in. thick slices
1 c. sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1 T. fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt
1 1/4 c. oats
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into 1/2 in. pieces, slightly softened
2 lb. strawberries, hulled and halved
1 1/2 lb. rhubarb, cut into 1/2 in. thick slices
1 c. sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1 T. fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt
1 1/4 c. oats
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into 1/2 in. pieces, slightly softened
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Gently stir first 6 ingredients together in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into shallow 3 quart baking dish.
Stir oats, brown sugar, flour and salt in medium bowl. Blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture forms small clumps. Crumble topping over fruit mixture. Bake until bubbly and topping is golden, about 40-50 minutes. Serve warm with unsweetened freshly-whipped cream.
Success! Everyone liked it. I didn't use as much sugar or butter as the recipe called for and it was still tart and tangy. Very yummy! Enjoy!Here's a recipe for Rhubarb Coffee Cake I want to try as well.
3 comments:
This looks delicious! Just earlier this week I was wishing for a slice of my grandpa's strawberry-rhubarb pie. I think this crumble looks just as delicious (and easier to make!).
Thanks for the recipe!
Hi Joolee! I'm so glad you entered my giveaway today... aren't those bags awesome? make sure you leave me another comment b/c your teaching comment was worth two!
So how is your Coffee Date Dress coming along? Can't wait to see it!
And BTW, THANK YOU for including me in your create blog! I'm not worthy to be up there with those other blogs!!
One of Matt's favorite desserts is strawberry rhubarb pie. I've made it a few times, but this sounds like a nice alternative. Yum.
Post a Comment