28 September 2009

Four.

Someone turned four today. Really?? Did I really become a mom four years ago? It seems like I've been a mother forever, but the past four years have flown by at the same time. Not sure how that works, but I think we can apply the phrase, "Time flies when you're having fun", because being a mother is fun.
Especially to a cowgirl.
Celia wanted a "cowgirl party" and Saturday was the day!

Here she is, all decked out with Jessie and ready for the party, helping me whip up some frosting:

The goodies:



She also helped me put together the favors (harmonicas, trail mix, chocolate gold coins and a toy horse wrapped in bandanas and twine...with a sheriff badge for good measure)...but we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

We borrowed saddles and other riding gear from some friends for the kids to have fun with:

And they did.

We made some stick horses:

Here they are all laid out to dry...

While the cowgirls learned how to shoot some cans off a sawhorse...with a Super Soaker!

That was a hit! If it wasn't their turn, everyone wanted to help set the cans back up:

Next was Pin the Spur on the Boot:

And Travis demonstrated his lasso-ing skills. Those Richardson boys can do anything the first time they try... too bad he missed here:



Trying to lasso a taunting cowboy:

Here's "Jessie":



You can't have cowgirls without cowboys, right? Celia said only three were allowed: her brother and her cousins. :)

Time to eat and open gifts:

I think he really enjoyed that cupcake:

Occasionally the cowgirls and cowboys were distracted by our tempting grapes and here's Travis feeding the demanding mob:

Once the stick horses were dry, the kids geared up for some barrel-racing!

Chaos and mass confusion around the barrel:





I'd say our four-yr old's first party with friends was quite successful, with perfect weather, some country songs crooning in the background and horseshoes stenciled in a path to the backyard... Celia is still talking about it. And still wants to be a cowgirl for Halloween.
Happy Birthday Celia!
I'm realizing now as I write this that you were born around 8pm at night and I'm remembering how overwhelmed, but blessed, we felt that first night we spent with you.
We love your feisty attitude (sometimes),
your strawberry blonde-reddish hair,
your compassion when someone is hurt,
your imagination and creativity,
your crazy made-up words that only you laugh about while we just roll our eyes,
and
your spontaneous hugs and kisses.

We are so glad you're part of our family!
Love,
Mom, Dad, and "Buddy"




10 comments:

s g said...

this looks like a fabulous party, LOVE the barrel racing too, and the saddles...awesome. nice work mom!

Stacy said...

What an adorable party. You're so creative. I love the cupcakes and the little stick horses. Happy Birthday, little one!

Anonymous said...

That looked like a fun party even I would want to attend. What a lucky little girl. Happy Birthday Celia.

Aubrey said...

WOW Julie! What a fun birthday party! Happy Birthday Celia, we love and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so much fun! I love the horse cupcake :) And how creative with the "horses" and saddles.

You Are My Fave said...

Oh my gosh, this party is fantastic. I love the little figurines on the cupcakes and the "horse rides."

Unknown said...

So stinkin' cute!!! Love all the party ideas you used! How are you guys?

Nicole said...

So there I was, reading my Google Reader and this adorable party post was up on Party Perfect. So I clicked on the link and realized, Hey, I know her!
Great party, it looks adorable.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tania McCartney said...

Awwww! I wanna be boot scootin at this shindig! Just lovely.